Calendar

This online calendar of events emphasizes educational, archaeological, preservation, and history related programs throughout the year across South Dakota. Green entries denote activities at the Cultural Heritage Center in Pierre. Blue entries denote off-site activities sponsored by the SD State Historical Society and/or the Historical Society Foundation. If you would like to submit an event to be included on the calendar, please complete and submit the following form: Events form, PDF or Events form, Word.

August 2014

Event: South Dakota Environments: A Window to Past Times Exhibit
Description:
Visitors will explore the state as it looked in the Paleozoic, Mesozoic, Pleistocene and Holocene epochs and witness the animals found on the land. Animals ranging from a Tyrannosaurus Rex to a Short-Face Bear will be featured, along with a massive representation of a mammoth. The exhibit also demonstrates how, over time, the location of the land that became South Dakota has shifted along with what became the North American continent.
Location: Cultural Heritage Center, Observation Gallery, 900 Governors Dr., Pierre
Time: Mon.-Sat. 9 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., Sun. & Holidays* 1-4:30 p.m. CT
Admission:  Members free; Adults $4, Seniors $3, 17 & under free (Free to all on the 1st Sunday of every month)
Sponsor: South Dakota State Historical Society
Contact: 605-773-3458, web: history.sd.gov/Museum
* The Cultural Heritage Center is closed on New Year's Day, Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas.

Event: SD State Archives Open
Description: The State Archives is open every 1st Saturday of the month. Staff will be available to assist with research. The State Archives manages a collection of photographs, films, maps, books, newspapers, state and county records, as well as personal and organizational records.
Location:  Cultural Heritage Center, 900 Governors Dr., Pierre
Date/Time: August 2, 2014; 9 a.m to 4:30 p.m. CT
Admission:  Free
Sponsor: South Dakota State Historical Society
Contact: 605-773-3804, e:mail archref@state.sd.us, web: history.sd.gov/Archives

Event: Free admittance to the Museum of the SD State Historical Society
Description: Admittance to the museum is free the 1st Sunday of the month. The Museum has 15,000 square feet of exhibition space with exhibits divided into five galleries.
Location: Cultural Heritage Center, 900 Governors Dr., Pierre
Date/Time: August 3, 2014; 1-4:30 p.m. CT
Admission:  Free
Sponsor: South Dakota State Historical Society
Contact: 605-773-3458, web: history.sd.gov/Museum

Event: Oahe Chapel Ecumenical Sunday Service, host: 1st Congregational United Church of Christ
Description: Hosted by various local churches, ecumenical services are held at the historic Oahe Chapel every Sunday from Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day weekend. The Oahe Chapel was established by Rev. Thomas L. Riggs, a Congregationalist minister, and his first wife, Cornelia Margaret “Nina” Foster, to serve as a mission to the Sioux Indians of central South Dakota. The chapel was originally located on the east bank of the Missouri River at Peoria Flats, roughly five miles upriver from its current location. It was moved to its current location in 1964 after construction of the Oahe Dam flooded the original site. The chapel is owned by the South Dakota State Historical Society and managed by the Oahe Chapel Preservation Society, which oversees its maintenance and preservation.
Location: The chapel is located adjacent to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Visitor Center, approximately five miles north of Pierre on SD Highway 1804.
Date/Time: August 3, 2014; 8 a.m. CT
Admission: Free; Open to the public
Sponsor: Oahe Chapel Preservation Society, Pierre-Ft. Pierre Ministerial Association
Contact: Cindy Snow, 605-773-2907, e-mail: cindy.snow@state.sd.us

Event: Oahe Chapel Ecumenical Sunday Service, host: Calvary Baptist Church of Blunt
Description: Hosted by various local churches, ecumenical services are held at the historic Oahe Chapel every Sunday from Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day weekend. The Oahe Chapel was established by Rev. Thomas L. Riggs, a Congregationalist minister, and his first wife, Cornelia Margaret “Nina” Foster, to serve as a mission to the Sioux Indians of central South Dakota. The chapel was originally located on the east bank of the Missouri River at Peoria Flats, roughly five miles upriver from its current location. It was moved to its current location in 1964 after construction of the Oahe Dam flooded the original site. The chapel is owned by the South Dakota State Historical Society and managed by the Oahe Chapel Preservation Society, which oversees its maintenance and preservation.
Location: The chapel is located adjacent to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Visitor Center, approximately five miles north of Pierre on SD Highway 1804.
Date/Time: August 10, 2014; 8 a.m. CT
Admission: Free; Open to the public
Sponsor: Oahe Chapel Preservation Society, Pierre-Ft. Pierre Ministerial Association
Contact: Cindy Snow, 605-773-2907, e-mail: cindy.snow@state.sd.us

Event: Smithsonian Sunday - Program to be announced.
Description:
This Smithsonian Sunday program features the Smithsonian’s (museum) with a program/panel discussion/etc. on ...
** Smithsonian Sunday is offered on the second Sunday of each month. The Museum of the South Dakota State Historical Society, as a Smithsonian Institution Affiliate, will feature a special video program from one of the Smithsonian Museums.**
Location: Cultural Heritage Center, 900 Governors Dr., Pierre
Date/Time:
August 10, 2014; 2 p.m. CT
Admission: 
Free program, regular admission to museum
Sponsor:
South Dakota State Historical Society
Contact:
605-773-3458, web: history.sd.gov/Museum

Event: History & Heritage Book Club - Title to be announced.
Description: Program to be announced. The History & Heritage Book Club is free and open to the public at any time. A monthly commitment is not required.
Location:
  Capitol Lake Visitors Center, 650 E. Capitol Ave., Pierre
Date/Time: August 12, 2014; 7 p.m. CT
Admission: Free
Sponsor: South Dakota Historical Society Foundation
Contact: Dorinda Daniel 605-773-6006, e-mail: dorinda.daniel@state.sd.us

Event: Oahe Chapel Ecumenical Sunday Service, host: Southeast United Methodist Church
Description: Hosted by various local churches, ecumenical services are held at the historic Oahe Chapel every Sunday from Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day weekend. The Oahe Chapel was established by Rev. Thomas L. Riggs, a Congregationalist minister, and his first wife, Cornelia Margaret “Nina” Foster, to serve as a mission to the Sioux Indians of central South Dakota. The chapel was originally located on the east bank of the Missouri River at Peoria Flats, roughly five miles upriver from its current location. It was moved to its current location in 1964 after construction of the Oahe Dam flooded the original site. The chapel is owned by the South Dakota State Historical Society and managed by the Oahe Chapel Preservation Society, which oversees its maintenance and preservation.
Location: The chapel is located adjacent to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Visitor Center, approximately five miles north of Pierre on SD Highway 1804.
Date/Time: August 17, 2014; 8 a.m. CT
Admission: Free; Open to the public
Sponsor: Oahe Chapel Preservation Society, Pierre-Ft. Pierre Ministerial Association
Contact: Cindy Snow, 605-773-2907, e-mail: cindy.snow@state.sd.us

Event: Minnilusa Historical Association 61st Annual Potluck
Description: The Association is hosting its annual potluck picnic and book sale at the Journey Museum. Admission is free and everyone is welcome. Please bring a dish to share. The featured presenter is to be announced. Used books of historic interest will be available by donation to the Association.
The Minnilusa Historical Association, the Pioneer Historical Society of Rapid City, has been preserving Rapid City and Black Hills history since 1935 and maintains a Pioneer Museum, archives and collections at the Journey Museum in Rapid City.
Location: The Journey Museum, 222 New York St., Rapid City
Date/Time: to be announced, 2014; Noon-2 pm MT
Admission: Free, bring a dish for potluck
Sponsor: Minnilusa Historical Association
Contact: Reid Riner, 605-394-6099, e-mail: minnilusa@earthlink.net, web: www.journeymuseum.org

Event: Oahe Chapel Ecumenical Sunday Service, host: Lutheran Memorial Church
Description: Hosted by various local churches, ecumenical services are held at the historic Oahe Chapel every Sunday from Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day weekend. The Oahe Chapel was established by Rev. Thomas L. Riggs, a Congregationalist minister, and his first wife, Cornelia Margaret “Nina” Foster, to serve as a mission to the Sioux Indians of central South Dakota. The chapel was originally located on the east bank of the Missouri River at Peoria Flats, roughly five miles upriver from its current location. It was moved to its current location in 1964 after construction of the Oahe Dam flooded the original site. The chapel is owned by the South Dakota State Historical Society and managed by the Oahe Chapel Preservation Society, which oversees its maintenance and preservation.
Location: The chapel is located adjacent to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Visitor Center, approximately five miles north of Pierre on SD Highway 1804.
Date/Time: August 24, 2014; 8 a.m. CT
Admission: Free; Open to the public
Sponsor: Oahe Chapel Preservation Society, Pierre-Ft. Pierre Ministerial Association
Contact: Cindy Snow, 605-773-2907, e-mail: cindy.snow@state.sd.us

Event: Oahe Chapel Ecumenical Sunday Service, host: Resurrection Lutheran Church
Description: Hosted by various local churches, ecumenical services are held at the historic Oahe Chapel every Sunday from Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day weekend. The Oahe Chapel was established by Rev. Thomas L. Riggs, a Congregationalist minister, and his first wife, Cornelia Margaret “Nina” Foster, to serve as a mission to the Sioux Indians of central South Dakota. The chapel was originally located on the east bank of the Missouri River at Peoria Flats, roughly five miles upriver from its current location. It was moved to its current location in 1964 after construction of the Oahe Dam flooded the original site. The chapel is owned by the South Dakota State Historical Society and managed by the Oahe Chapel Preservation Society, which oversees its maintenance and preservation.
Location: The chapel is located adjacent to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Visitor Center, approximately five miles north of Pierre on SD Highway 1804.
Date/Time: August 31, 2014; 8 a.m. CT
Admission: Free; Open to the public
Sponsor: Oahe Chapel Preservation Society, Pierre-Ft. Pierre Ministerial Association
Contact: Cindy Snow, 605-773-2907, e-mail: cindy.snow@state.sd.us


September October November December January February March April May June July